Saturday, February 13, 2010

Citius, Altius, Fortius
(Faster, Higher, Stronger)
I have decided to participate in the Knitting Olympics this year, as a challenge to myself and as a spur to get going on a pair of socks that I promised to a dear friend nearly a year ago.  In honor of Ms. Nina in Alabama, and in memory of my little great-niece Haley Rose, I cast on a pair of Haley's Roses socks during the Opening Ceremony of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC, Canada. 
Ms. Nina's socks will be in Red Heart's Heart and Sole sock yarn in cream, and Opal Uni-Color in pink.  I designed the Haley's Roses pattern to help raise funds to fight neuroblastoma.  ALL proceeds from the sale of the pattern are donated to Lunch for Life.

In other knitting, I recently finished a hat in Lion Brand Fistherman's Wool.  I'd never worked with this yarn before, and I found that I really enjoyed it.  The hat is for our friend John, who will be visiting us next week from Louisiana.  He is a Southern Boy, through and through, and is afraid that he will  freeze up here in our Northern winter :)  Maybe the lovely, warm hat will help a bit to keep him warm during his stay with us. 

The new job at Hobby Lobby is, well, it's a job.  I am frustrated with my apparent inability to accomplish all that they expect from me in the time allotted.  I hope that will improve as I gain experience.  I do get to play with a lot of yarn.  I have two projects going that I keep in my locker at work: a simple shawl in a yarn called "Epais" from Yarn Bee and a pair of socks in "Walk Away" sock yarn.  Both of these yarns are new to me. 

I found a pattern that intrigues me in one of the knitting books at the store.  It's for a pair of over-the-knee stockings that tie with sheer ribbon...I have no idea where I would wear such things, but I am oddly drawn to them.  I may end up having to knit a pair, just because.  Maybe I could hang them artfully on the wall in the bathroom or drape them over the back of the bedroom chair!  :D  

This will be a weekend of frantic housecleaning, as I get ready for an onslaught of company next weekend.  My friends are all familiar with my aversion to housework, and never expect much in that area, but I do like to surprise them every now and again with a mostly-clean house... :) 

No comments: